Minibus FAQ's

What vehicle categories can be insured under the minibus insurance policy?

Minibuses with 9 - 17 Seats and MPV's with 6 to 8 Seats

Can I have more than 1 driver on my policy?

Yes is the answer, you can either add named drivers or select any driver in so doing the price of your insurance may increase as a result.

What types of minibus usage can you provide cover for?

Cover is available for the full gamut of usages that include, but is not limited to. 

  • Social domestic and pleasure.
  • Commercial minibus insurance
  • School minibus insurance
  • check
    Charity and Voluntary Groups
  • Scout Groups
  • Public Hire - can be flagged down
  • Private hire or minicab insurance
  • check
    Residential  or Car Home Minibus Insurance

What are the seat belt requirements when driving a minibus?

Minibuses carrying three or more children, aged at least 3 but less than 16 years, on organised trips or to and from school it is a requirement that seats are forward facing seats and have seat belts. These requirements also apply to coaches but not to buses. The law requires either 2-point (lap) or 3-point (lap and diagonal) belts to be fitted. 3-point belts provide better protection in the event of an accident than 2-point belts, although 2-point belts are better than no belts at all. Further information click here please.

What type of licence do I need?

Passed your drivers test before Jan 1997? 

If you passed your car driving test before 1 January 1997, you automatically gained a licence with Category B and D1 entitlement, or Groups A and B on older licences, qualifying you to drive minibuses as well as private cars

Passed your drivers test after Jan 1997? 

If you pass the car driving test on after 1 January 1997, you no longer automatically gain a licence with Category D1 minibus entitlement. You will need to pass the additional Category D1 test to drive minibuses, together with the standard theory test and a medical examination. If you are willing to do this, your school or LEA should make all the necessary arrangements and meet the costs of the training, test and medical report. Paid time off should be given for all these matters.

What if the minibus has been modified?

If you change the original seating plan of your vehicle you must re-register the minibus with DVLA to advise the new seating capacity.

Are discounts available for Minibuses used for charitable purposes? 

Most brokers will provide discounts for minibuses that are used for charity.

Can I dive abroad?

Taking out European cover will enable to safely drive in Europe.

What is the legal minimum cover required

The driver must have at the very minimum third party cover which pays out to third parties should he or she be responsible for the driving incident. As well as being a legal requirement it is worth noting that it is also your social responsibility. 

Is cover available for personnel minibus use only?  

Yes, for personnel minibus insurance click here 

What types of Cover are Available?

Cover ranges from fully comprehensive to the third party which is the legal minimum. All policies can be tailored to the customers individual needs, with extras added or omitted as deemed necessary by you.